Sunday, March 8, 2009

Why I Walk

my team, "Momemtum" in 2008 ~ four of us High School friends!


In 2003, I signed up for the 3 Day MS Challenge Walk because one of my oldest friends told me she was just diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis.

My friend Rita and I met in Jr. High, and have done everything from skiing to attending traffic school, together. She is the reason I met my husband and the reason my first car had so many dents in the fenders.


As I was signing up for the MS Walk online this year, my daughter came in to ask me what I was doing. It was really hard to explain, you try telling 7 year old why money is needed to find a cure - and what a cure is. I think I talked too long about it because she yawned and then smiled and said, “okay mommy”.


Later, while in the kitchen making peanut butter sandwiches, she came in and started dumping change out onto the island counter top. She emptied her entire purse and said, “Is this enough mommy?” It was the sum total of $8.01, which included 2 Sacagawea dollars, that she received from the tooth fairy. I guess she did understand what I was saying.

As I was leaving the room to add her donation to my walk page, she called out after me, “Can MS spread from Auntie Rita to other people?” I said no, it’s just in her own body. She said, “that's really lucky! Now she can go where ever she wants!”


I love that kid.

This will be my sixth year walking in the Southern California MS Challenge 3 Day Walk, a 50 mile walk over three days, from Carlsbad to San Diego, to raise awareness of and money for multiple sclerosis. You too can make a difference by donating – every little bit counts!

5 comments:

Nanny Goats In Panties said...

Oh my gosh, what a sweet story. My eyes started tearing up.

Thanks for visiting my site last week when my blog was featured on SITS! (I'm still catching up with everyone - whew!)

Laura said...

My Mom has MS I'll be back to donate later in the day. Maybe you would like to donate money when I ride 50K in June in the Tour de Cure for Diabetes? My oldest son is diabetic I ride to save his life. Either way good luck raising money and like I said I'll be back! Laura

Aimée said...

What a precious child. They understand a lot more than we give them credit for.

Mathea said...

Visiting from SITS. I love stories about kids, they do understand so much more than we know and show us in many ways.
nickannycreations.blogspot.com

Brittany Ann said...

It's an incredibly thing you're doing. I really admire you!