Sunday, January 17, 2010

Our Birthday Party Season


Yes, it's January, and the "Season of Birthdays" is about to begin in this house. I do get excited! and at the same time have a bit of a feeling of dread. How will I pull this off and at the same time get any work done?

And that is where I start to ask for some help.

HELP!

Let's back up here....

First up is my daughter's 8th (yes, EIGHTH!) birthday party, and the theme is "Adventure". To decorate that theme she has chosen all things pink camouflage. So cute! I, of course, am designing a printable partyware collection that we can use - pennant banners, cone party hats, signage, favor tags, etc.

Here is the problem: I can not find anything out there with a pink camo pattern that I can use for tote bags, or bandannas, or craft projects, or for party favors. Has anyone used this theme? or seen anyone who has used this theme?

And, (here is a plea for my Aunt Janet) um, Aunt Janet? Will you "help" me make some tote bags from pink camo fabric? Assuming I can find some? Please?

Lets see what else... Oh! I'm going to try to use fondant! My plan is to make a cake, cover it with white (?) fondant and then paint it to be camouflaged. In pink. Where/what kind of fondant do I use? I don't necessarily need to make the fondant, I would be okay with purchasing it. Anyone? Anyone?

Let's see... I guess that's it for today. So, let me know if you have any ideas for me.

thanks!

7 comments:

Meyer Family said...

I believe that pink camo fabric is a staple at Walmart or at least here in Louisiana, they even have it with LSU print. Also Hobby Lobby has it in sometimes. Also Bass Pro if you have one has pink camo stuff, once again we have one here. And I think you could get away with using the spray color if the fondant doesn't work that should give the effect of camo. kaylee

Jodi M said...

Last weekend I did my first attempt at decorating with fondant for my daughters birthday cake (her party was yesterday). I used the premade fondant by Wiltons (avail at Michaels, JoAnns, etc in the candy making and cake decorating section). I bought two packages so I could practice before the actual cake. Just follow the directions inside and good luck! Its not the tastiest but it looks fine!

abigail @ Paper and Cake said...

see? this is why i love blogging :) thanks ladies!

Sara said...

I have found pink camo at Hobby Lobby. Also found some here

http://www.broadbaycotton.com/Pink-Camo-Camoflauge-Cotton-Fabric-Material-2yds-54-In-Wide-2y85.html

I can't wait to see your party...this is right up my daughters alley. Her quilt on her bed is pink and brown camo! She will be four next month. Do you think you will be offering the pink camo party printables??

abigail @ Paper and Cake said...

thanks Sara! and yes... this will be offered at paperandcake.com :)

Aimée said...

Try Satin Ice or Royal Ice for the rolled fondant. You can find it at Bulk Barn--do they have those where you are??

Myra of Mommy+Me Lunchbox said...

Hi! I just found your blog for the first time... Do not use Wilton... it tastes icky. Try Marshmallow Fondant... there are tons of tutorials on youtube. Plus its way cheaper.